getcwd() and friends.

Felix Lee flee at shire.cs.psu.edu
Sun Apr 9 17:44:27 AEST 1989

In article <1410 at auspex.auspex.com>,
   guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>For one thing, we could introduce O_CHMOD to open for mode changes.
>No, not worth it.  "fchmod" can - and does - already check whether you
>have permission to do a "chmod".

Er, the point is to fchmod a file that you don't have permission to
open.  You need to open a file for no access (O_OPEN?).

The idea is to localize file accesses to the open() call, making it
easier to interpose user-level file access hooks.

If open flags were orthogonal, then O_OPEN would be 0 and the various
read/write/etc. modes would be or'ed together.
--
Felix Lee	flee at shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!shire!flee