filename substitution question

tom reingold tr at madeleine.ctt.bellcore.com
Tue Apr 4 22:52:54 AEST 1989

On the subject of "filename substitution question", rob at scdpyr.ucar.edu
(Robert Montgomery) writes:

$ Often it would be simpler to specify what I *don't* want in filename
$ substitution than what I do.  For example, I would like to do something
$ similar the following:
$
$ 	ls {NOTfrog}.c
$
$ and have it produce:
$
$ 	bird.c		fish.c
$
$ Have I overlooked a "NOT"/"EXCEPT"/"EVERYTHING-BUT"-type special
$ character in the man pages?  Or is there another simple way to do this
$ simple action in Unix (e.g., sunOS 4.0 or BSD4.3)?

While everyone's solutions have been more elegant than mine, I think
I should post the most obvious one.

	ls | grep -v frog.c

(And it was quite a coincidence that David Korn mention the new feature
of ksh's regular expressions.  I read the article yesterday morning and
wished we could get the new ksh.  Then it arrived last night.)

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at ctt.bellcore.com
Bell Communications Research   |UUCP:           bellcore!ctt!tr
444 Hoes La room 1E225         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854           |                (201) 287-2345 [home]