Use of /etc/dialups and /etc/d_passwd

R. Meesters, Tech Support, Lanpar Toronto Ontario Canada ram at tslanpar.UUCP
Fri Apr 28 03:37:13 AEST 1989

In article <245 at chip.UUCP>, mparker at chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
> In a system V environment, I'd be interested in knowing how these files
> are used, their formats, etc.  A string decomposition of my /bin/login
> showed these two files being used not the documentation makes a vailed
> reference to these files.

These files are used for setting a dialup password.  The references to these
files can be found in the AT&T System Support and Update News.  The issues in
question are the June 1987 issue under the heading "How to Create a Secure
UNIX System Login" and the January 1988 issue "How to Impliment a Dial-
up Password for AT&T 3B UNIX System Computers."

/etc/dialups is a list of the tty ports that the dial-up passwords are to
be implimented on.  /etc/d_password is a list of the encripted passwords
for login methods.  Reccomended password protections are for /bin/sh,
/bin/ksh and /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.

Hope this helps.

	Richard Meesters		|
	Lanpar Technologies Inc.	|	"Calling YOU stupid would
	Toronto, Ontario		|	be an insult to stupid people"
	...attcan!nebulus!tslanpar!ram	|	   - A Fish Called Wanda