generating code to run multiple targets/configurations from single

Marty Leisner.Henr at xerox.com
Tue Apr 4 05:40:26 AEST 1989

I need (for a long time) a better way to produce multiple configurations on
multiple targets from a single set of sources.

What I'm doing now is running makefile's through the C preprocessor and
ifdefing things like CC, CFLAGS, AS, etc.

I'm working on a sun386i -- I'm currently have SunOS make (looks better
than older makes I've used), gnu make and cake.

I'm not sure how much I like cake -- it seems a little too different for my
tastes.

I want a single master makefile for each project.  I'm currently running
shell scripts to preprocessor the makefile prior to running make.  I guess
I'm going to put the different objects/outputs in different subdirectories
(so make won't get confused), but I'll still preprocess the makefiles.

I'm looking for useful ideas/strategies for managing this problem (the fact
that on the sun386i I'm also cross-compiling via dos based C compilers even
adds to the confusion).

If there's interest I'll summarize and post the replies.

thanks,

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr at xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr