Reading from stderr

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.wv.tek.com
Sat Apr 15 05:57:57 AEST 1989

[]

	"Am I in good company in believing that a program that reads
	from standard error is a naughty program?  It seems to be done
	(usually) as an alternative to the horrible drudgery of opening
	/dev/tty."

What if the program was exec'ed with channels 0, 1, and 2 open but with
no controlling terminal?  The open of /dev/tty will fail.  (Of course,
in this case stderr is probably open for output only.)

There are window systems that work this way, running processes without
controlling terminals (no ptys), but I haven't seen much of them
lately.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com at relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]