Reading from stderr

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sun Apr 16 03:26:13 AEST 1989

In article <508 at visdc.UUCP>, jiii at visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) writes:
> Since file
> descriptors 0, 1, and 2 are all opened with oflag set to O_RDWR, and
> stderr is unbuffered, there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't
> read from fildes 2.

An expansion here: stdin, stdout, and stderr are not opened independantly.
the terminal device is opened and the resulting fildes is dup-ed twice
to yield stdout and stderr.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl at vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

"I'm making a fashion statement: I'm saying I don't know how to dress." - me