need PD simple make

Larry McVoy lm at snafu.Sun.COM
Sun Apr 9 07:01:10 AEST 1989

Is there a GNU make?  Or a simple public domain make?  I'm looking for
something that groks makefiles, knows how to do time dependencies, and
has a builtin rule like

mk foo		# foo.c in $PWD, this results in:
cc $(CFLAGS) -o foo foo.c

Sun has crufted up their make to the point that the old rule "more than
2 commands?  Put it in a Makefile" is no longer true.  To wit:

$  cat > Makefile
all:
	/bin/echo all
^D
$ time make
/bin/echo all
all

real	0m1.90s
user	0m0.25s
sys	0m0.73s
$ arch
sun4

Personally, I think 2 seconds on a 7-8 mips machine to echo echo one
word is abysmal.  So I'm looking for a fast and dirty program that
will do the simple things fast; I'll leave the complicated stuff to
the "real" make...  I know about /usr/old/make, by the way, it is much
better - the same benchmark is about .23s real time.  However, there is
no guarentee that Sun won't flush that sometime in the future - I'd just
as soon have my own code.

Thanks in advance,

Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com