Portable mknod ?? does it exist?

Frank Wortner frank at croton.dec.com
Wed Aug 2 23:45:20 AEST 1989

In article <181 at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu>, drs at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) writes:
[Regarding my attempts to duplicate his mknod problem ...]
> What follow is from a script file of a run of the code posted.  I have no
> idea what the difference is but it seems to indicate a difference in Ultrix
> Versions.  Any suggestions ?
>
> Ultrix-32 V3.0 (Rev 64) System #2: Sat Apr 15 12:47:39 EDT 1989

The login banner on the VAXstation II/GPX I used to try the example program says:

Ultrix-32 V3.0 (Rev 64) UWS V2.0 System #2: Fri Jan 13 17:35:56 EST 1989

I used the same version of Ultrix that you have.  As I indicated in my previous
article on this subject, UWS 2.0 == Ultrix 3.0.  The basic difference is that
UWS includes an X11 server and is intended for workstations.   If anything, the
fact that I got the same results on a VAXstation II/GPX running Ultrix 3.0 and
a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1 indicates that there is no difference between
versions in regard to the operation of this program.  The program behaved
consistantly on both machines.

						Frank