NFS and UFS Mounting on a non-empty directory

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Wed Aug 9 19:35:26 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul28.173335.1815 at telotech.uucp>, bsa at telotech.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> In article <1989Jul23.194057.4247 at ctr.columbia.edu>, seth at ctr (Seth Robertson) writes:
>> In article <12921 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>>> Yes, the concept of mounting over a non-empty directory is
>>> well-defined

>> The concept may be well defined, but the implementation bytes the
>> big one.

>> In SunOS 4.0.3
>> seth elara> cd /mnt
>> seth elara> ls
>> testfile
>> seth elara> cat testfile
>> This is a test.
>> seth elara> mount leda:/image /mnt
>> seth elara> ls
>> lost+found not found

> This is correct, and happens even for local mounts.

Read more closely.  Why is it trying to find lost+found at all?
There's no lost+found in the directory being covered by the mount.  It
seems that when ls is reading . to get the names, it sees the mounted
directory, but when it tries to look up the names it found, it gets the
mounted-upon directory.

> if your current directory is the directory you mounted on, you'll
> continue to see the same contents after the mount until [...]

Yes, but he isn't, that's the point.  It goes schizoid: the it
sometimes looks like one and sometimes the other, depending on the
operation being performed.

> *This article may only be redistributed if all articles listed in the header's*
> *		       fields, are also redistributed.			      *

You can be certain I'm not going to run around making sure we've got
all the referenced articles before shipping yours out with the rest of
the news that arrived at about the same time.  Is this what you want me
to have to do?  It's what it sounds like.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu