FCC doing it again...

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Sat Dec 2 08:08:38 AEST 1989

In article <253 at zircon.UUCP> davidb at Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:
>Fortunately, you can fight back.  If you are being charged more for a
>tone line, ask for a pulse line.  SURPRISE!  Unless you have an old
>pulse phone exchange, you still can use tone on the `pulse' line...

Unfortunately not true in all the places I've tried it.  Apparently the
telephone company installs a DTMF-blocking filter on the lines of
subscribers who aren't paying for DTMF.

So what happens?  The people who are paying more for DTMF aren't really
paying for DTMF.  They are paying for the DTMF-blocking filters needed
on the lines of those who aren't paying for DTMF.

This is the opposite of the way it ought to be.  People who don't pay
for DTMF should be made to pay for the DTMF-blocking filter.  And
people who pay for DTMF then wouldn't have to pay for the filter any
more, so they wouldn't have to pay for DTMF at all.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi