FCC doing it again...

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Fri Dec 1 13:23:28 AEST 1989

In article <246 at cfa.HARVARD.EDU> wyatt at cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt) writes:
>...modem calls are not the same simply because they
>usually last much longer than a voice call.

True.  That is good reason for charging by the minute.  It is not good
reason for charging more for modem calls.

What is really happening is that the fairest way of charging, by time
and distance, is unpopular with the public.  So the telephone companies
keep on trying to get the same effect by other devious ways.

But some parts of the country (Chicago, I believe) already charge for
all phone calls by distance and time.  There is no justification for
imposing any new rates in such places.

As for long distance calls, there is enough competition now that the
long distance companies ought to be allowed to choose any charging
algorithm they want.

I fail to see why the FCC keeps on trying to make strange rules.
Existing mechanisms, mostly measured service, do a fine job where they
are being used.  Where they aren't they should be.

Why is this in comp.unix.wizards?  (Not any more.)

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi