too many enumerated types?

Jim Shankland jas at ernie.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 6 11:58:19 AEST 1989

In article <435 at laic.UUCP> scott at nova.laic.uucp (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:

>I am having problems getting a 35000 line C program to link on a
>Bell Technologies 386 box running BellTech's System V, Release 3.2.
>The 70 source files compiled fine, but here's the error message I
>get when I try to link  them:
>
>$ cc -g *.o
>ld fatal: fail to write symbol name LESSEQ_OP in string table
>for file a.out

Check your ulimit.  System V imposes a ``soft'' maximum file size --
1 Meg. on the machines I've worked on, maybe less on yours.  You need
to be root to change this limit, on a per-process basis.  Whether this
makes you laugh or cry is up to you.  (Make sure your disk isn't full, also.)

Jim Shankland
jas at ernie.berkeley.edu

"I've been walking in a river all my life, and now my feet are wet"