Book on Unix behind the scene (i.e. system calls, etc)

Larry McVoy lm at snafu.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 22 14:28:31 AEST 1989

In article <1980 at eneevax.UUCP> jsrobin at eneevax.eng.umd.edu.UUCP () writes:
>1. The Design of the Unix Operating System by Maurice J. Bach. Prentice Hall
>	(System V)

System V.3 and earlier only;  V.4 will be substantially different.  VM and
networking come time mind, offhand.

>2. The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System by
>	Samuel J. Leffler, Marshall Kirk McKusick, Michael J. Karels,
>	John S. Quarterman. Addison-Wesley
>	(Berkley and SunOS)

This book talks about 4.3BSD.  My copy is at work, but I think there is
very little in there that is SunOS specific.

>3. Writing a Unix Device Driver by Janet I. Egan and Thomas J. Teixeira.
>	(Masscomp with appendixes on BSD and Xenix)

I'd dump this one completely in favour of the AT&T Device Driver Writer's
Guide.  I understand they even have a new & improved version out.  It
documents all the driver interfaces, kernel routines available for driver
use, includes a block & char driver (these are overly complex but it is
source), and in general is very good at the nitty gritty.  This document
does not hold your hand but will get you going if you want to write your
ram disk driver.  *Please* don't ask me how to get one - I swiped mine
from work.

Larry McVoy, Lachman Associates.			...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com