timed[110]: no more slots in host table

Dave Cohrs dave at romano.cs.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 14 03:46:46 AEST 1989

Today on a 4.3BSD host, I noticed the error message

	timed[110]: no more slots in host table

in /usr/adm/messages.  This condition occurs when the master timed is
trying to sync the clocks for more than 100 slaves (eek!).  Without
looking seriously at the code, it seems that this condition is
basically ignored by timed (it looks like there are some bugs in
dealing with this condition, because timed completely ignores the fact
that it can't master anymore, but that's another story).  What I'm
interested in is that what does the poor slave do when this condition
occurs?  Is it told (or at least, is it supposed to be told)?  Can it
go find someone else to master for it, or is it left to tick all by
itself?

thanks,

Dave Cohrs
--
Dave Cohrs
+1 608 262-6617                        UW-Madison Computer Sciences Department