Process Group ID's (was: Re: pid rollover?)

Boyd Roberts boyd at necisa.necisa.oz
Mon Feb 13 09:28:18 AEST 1989

In article <12400 at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>% crash
>> proc 16
>SLT ST  PID  PPID  PGRP   UID  EUID PRI CPU    EVENT NAME       FLAGS
> 16 s  9378     1     0     0     0  39   0  6000000 hang       incore text

Well, it looks like Sys V is _wrong_ again.  Once your process group
leader dies all living processes with that p_pgrp get it set to zero.
Great work!!

Just say I _don't_ want that to happen?  Just say I _do_ want to be able
to signal processes in my group regardless of the state of my process
group leader?  This is typical Sys V brain-damage.

>From memory, V8 & 32V check for p_pgrp clashes and do _not_ zero p_pgrp
fields, in living processes, when their process group leader dies.

Just when you think the universe is relatively sane, Sys V _proves_ that
in no way is that the case.

How many more quasi-crucial interfaces will be stomped on in V.4?

Boyd Roberts			NEC Information Systems Australia

boyd at necisa.necisa.oz

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''