Help with lpr(1) on SunOS 4.0 Needed

Chuq Von Rospach chuq at Apple.COM
Tue Feb 28 11:12:03 AEST 1989

>Arghhh!  We just (yes, just now) upgraded from SunOS 3.5 to 4.0, and our
>printer broke (HP Rugged Writer).  It seems that the last buffer of data
>is not being sent to the printer by Unix.  Included is our printcap.

Did you upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1? If only 4.0, the serial ports are broken,
very broken. (If 4.0.1, they're only mostly broken -- a big improvement).

What you're seeing is when the printer port is closed the last block is
being zapped instead of flushed to the printer. You can get around it by
putting something like this in your rc.local:

    sleep 10000000 > /dev/ttyb

What this does is keep the port open so it doesn't prematurely close and
delete that last block. Better would be to get the serial port patches from
Sun (some are on 4.0.1, but that's not a complete set) and get them
installed. Perhaps by now *all* of the serial port bugs are fixed.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq at apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!