Need help with ifconfig

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at polya.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 25 12:15:23 AEST 1989

We seem to be having a bit of trouble getting a machine to do
subnetting.  The machine is a Sun-3 running SunOS 3.5, and the upshot
of the matter is that the ioctl to set the net mask seems to fail with
an invalid netmask:

	ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCSIFNETMASK): invalid argument

Interestingly enough, this message occurs no matter what masks we
give, including the default masks for class B and C unsubnetted
networks.  We are setting the netmask on ie0, using ifconfig.

I suspect this must be a widely known problem.  Anyone got a fix or a
suggestion (other than upgrading!)?

Thanks!

Jon Shapiro