TIOCSTI (was Terminals are ridiculously insecure)

Oliver Laumann net at tub.UUCP
Mon Feb 6 00:14:53 AEST 1989

In article <18176 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
> ? 	Oops, I forgot about filename completion in some C shells.
>
> I don't see why it is necessary for either. TCSH doesn't use it, and
> it's completion works just as good or better.

The reason why tcsh doesn't need it is that it implements its own
line editing (i.e., duplicates parts of the functionality of the
tty driver).  If you implement completion by means of the secondary
break character (like the csh under 4.3 BSD does) you need TIOCSTI
to ``push back'' the result of the completion to allow the user
to edit it.

--
Oliver Laumann              net at TUB.BITNET              net at tub.UUCP