printer queue gets stuck

Calvin Hayden cgh018 at tijc02.UUCP
Wed Feb 22 00:18:30 AEST 1989

You write:

> We get stuck printer queues almost every day, and it is driving me
> crazy, since I am one of the people that everyone asks to unstick the
> queue.  Usually, I end up removing lock files etc. and killing and
> restarting lpd.  But why is this necessary?  Is this frequency of
> sticking normal?  What causes it, and what can I do to prevent it?

We often encounter a similar problem ( Unix V R2 V2 on vax 8600 connected
to the would via ethernet LAN ).  I end up having to halt the print
scheduler, rm lockfiles, and restarting the scheduler.  We have finally
determined that often, whenever a NetCommander (print server) on our
LAN is rebooted that the scheduler on our Unix system will hose up.  The
above always manages to restart everything.  Maybe this'll help -- maybe
it won't.

Calvin Hayden
Sys. Admin. Unix System
Texas Instruments