Nullpath in system calls considered harmful?

David Elliott dce at stan.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 02:24:46 AEST 1989

In article <88368 at sun.uucp> lm at sun.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>	A question for oldtimers: is there any good reason that null paths
>    (ie, open("", flags)) should NOT be considered an error.  If you don't

There are programs that will break, but in some cases it's just
due to sloppiness.

I ported the 4.3BSD tar to System V.3 last year, and found that it
depended on "" being a legal name.  I seem to recall that the fix
in this case involved ignoring the case of the current path being
"", not changing it to "", since it was a redundant or useless
check.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific.  Maybe someone at MIPS can check
the source, or maybe someone that archives comp.bugs.4bsd can look
to see if I posted the fix (sometime around last August, I think).

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce