Signals after exec

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Tue Feb 28 17:50:27 AEST 1989

In article <941 at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, I write:

In article <2071 at lcuxlm.ATT.COM> ram at lcuxlm.ATT.COM (Miani Rich) writes:
>I think the paper was entitled "Lightweight Processes" ....

The citation is "Variable-Weight Processes with Flexible Shared Resources"
by Ziya Aral, Illya Gertner, Alan Langerman, and Greg Schaffer of Encore
Computer Group and James Bloom and Thomas Doepplner of Brown University.
It's in the proceedings of the Winter 1989 USENIX Technical Conference,
pages 405-412.

It's this sort of model that allows the Unix operating system to grow
and still remain compatible with earlier versions -- identifying the
common concept behind different things.  This particular model unifies
processes and threads in a way so that a program can have greater control
over its resources.  I hope those architects who are designing our follow-
on operating systems (I'm thinking of Mach, 4.4BSD, SysV.4, ...) should
look at this paper and think seriously about this model.

Encore is on the the net, and I think Brown is, as well.  Do any of the
authors (or others) wish to discuss the subject further?
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel at SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg at ncr-sd