SunOS 4.0/4.0.1 warnings

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Mon Feb 13 09:44:12 AEST 1989

>Dbx under all versions of SunOS (3.5+ I think) which have shared
>libraries

No, 4.0+.

>cannot locate shared library modules until the program has
>been executed at least once.

Not surprising, since they don't even exist in the process's address
space until the program has been executed at least once; kind of hard to
locate something if it doesn't exist....

"dbx" actually *does* start the program up when you enter it, at least
if you don't have a core file; it might, conceivably, be able to let it
continue a bit longer, so that it gets through the dynamic-link stage
but stops before it hits "main", which would bring the shared libraries
into the process's address space and let "dbx" find out where the
library routines live.  However, I don't know whether this would cause
problems worse than the one it purports to solve; it may be that it
does, and that Sun didn't do it for just that reason.