Ultrix 3.0 - where are the tales?

Dick Dramstad rad at mbunix.mitre.org
Tue Feb 14 05:22:49 AEST 1989

	We SPR'd the "hasta la vista" feature of lock a long time ago;
good thing we have source to fix it since DEC let it slip out again
with the (I guess you could call it) security hole "feature."

>I know of a few sites that have sold their 8820's, bought a used 8650's
>(made some money) and put up 4.3tahoe and noticed about the same
>performance.

	This isn't too surprising; the speed of each of the two
processors in the 8820 is the same as the speed of the single
processor in the 8650 (i.e., about 6 VAX MIPS).  Without SMP, it's
going to be tough to get much extra ooomph out of the 2nd processor on
the 8820 anyway in many (but not all, of course) situations.

Dick Dramstad