access()

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 19:07:48 AEST 1989

>Hmmm...as I understand it, this disallows pathnames of the form
>"//filename" and is ambiguous about pathnames of the form
>"filename//filename".

Well, what it says after that is:

	Multiple successive *slashes* are considered the same as one
	*slash*.  A pathname that begins with two successive *slashes*
	may be interpreted in an implementation-defined manner, although
	more than two leading *slashes* shall be treated as a single
	*slash*.

So it doesn't disallow "//filename", although it indicates that it may
not do what you think it does, and explicitly indicates that
"filename//filename" is the same as "filename/filename".

>This is not very UNIX-like.

No, but it *is* somewhat Aegis-like; it permits
"//nodename/filename/filename..." to mean "file '/filename/filename...'
on node "nodename" (or whatever it means on Aegis/DOMAIN/OS).  I'm quite
able to live with that trivial restriction in my applications.