writing a big file

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Sun Feb 12 19:14:40 AEST 1989

In article <13976 at bellcore.bellcore.com> tr at ctt.bellcore.com (tom reingold) writes:
>How can I write a file that won't fit on a tape?  I don't want to use
>dump.  I want to be prompted to change tapes in the drive when the
>tapes run out of space.

Well, one solution would be to use the POSIX Pax utility to do the
writing of the file to the tape, because pax automatically handles
multiple volumes and prompts for the next volume when each volume
fills up.  The sources were posted in comp.sources.unix recently, so
they are probably available from uunet.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				410 Memorial Drive, No. 223F
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Cambridge, MA 02139-4318
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-225-8218