pid rollover?

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Wed Feb 1 07:47:09 AEST 1989

According to jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg):
>Our system is an Altos 2000 running Xenix System V.  The CPU is a 386, and
>the C compiler produces 4 as sizeof(int).  However we seem to be hitting
>rollover of pids at 32K, implying that the kernel must be using short as the
>type of a pid -- at least internally.

The getpid() system call has to work for '286 binaries under Xenix/386.
So all pids must be representable as a 16-bit integers.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!