Undocumented -s option to crypt

David Elliott dce at stan.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 03:38:01 AEST 1989

In article <13030004 at eecs.nwu.edu> naim at eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>What is the purpose and functionality of the -s option to crypt(1) ?
>Has it always been there or did Berkeley add it ?

I remember it being in 4.2BSD and adding it to the documentation in
UTek.  All it really does is to modify the key so that the data is
encrypted differently.

I would guess that the folks at Berkeley were having problems with
people looking over their shoulders or running the clist capture
program, so they could alias 'crypt' to 'crypt -s' and snoops seeing
them type 'crypt' would try without luck.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno