problems with setuid (?)

Kevin Hickman krh at root.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 23:59:37 AEST 1989

In article <18213 at adm.BRL.MIL> you write:
>I am having a problem (explained below) with killing processes using a
>c-shell script.

>kill -9 `ps -ax | fgrep xnsstart | fgrep -v fgrep | cut -c1-5`
>kill -9 `ps -ax | fgrep xnshelper | fgrep -v fgrep | cut -c1-5`
                                                          ^^^^^

You should not be using these particular options as how can you
be sure that the login name will start in column 1 and continue for
5 columns?

should read:

	kill -9 `ps -ax | fgrep xnshelper | fgrep -v fgrep | cut -f3 -d" "`

As for why you are unable to kill your process, I don't know.
								*B)>-<

			Kevin Hickman.
--

Kevin Hickman  UniSoft Limited, Saunderson House, Hayne Street, London EC1A 9HH
krh at root.co.uk   ...!mcvax!ukc!root44!krh   +44-1-606-7799  FAX: +44-1-726-2750