too many enumerated types?

Scott Weitzenkamp scott at nova.laic.uucp
Sun Feb 5 17:02:14 AEST 1989

I am having problems getting a 35000 line C program to link on a
Bell Technologies 386 box running BellTech's System V, Release 3.2.
The 70 source files compiled fine, but here's the error message I
get when I try to link  them:

$ cc -g *.o
ld fatal: fail to write symbol name LESSEQ_OP in string table
for file a.out

LESSEQ_OP is an enumerated value; we use a lot of enumerated types
in the code.  I have only had this machine for 2 days, and I'm
beginning to really dislike System V UNIX.

What is going on here?  Am I out of room in the symbol table for
all my enumerated values?  Am I going to have to change all
my enums to defines?  If so, that really sucks.  This code runs
fine on BSD-based Unix boxes (Sun3, Sun4, Ultrix).  Have I been
living in Berkeley-land for too long?  What other nasty little
quirks await me?  Is it tougher to port from BSD to System V,
or vice-versa?  I hate dbx, but I think I hate sdb even more.
Is System V Release 4 going to be the big AT&T-Sun merge?  God,
I hope so.

Scott Weitzenkamp           UUCP:  {lll-lcc.arpa,ucbvax}!leadsv!laic!scott
Lockheed AI Center	    ARPA:  farmie at portia.stanford.edu
"The faster I go, the behinder I get."

Scott Weitzenkamp           UUCP:  {lll-lcc.arpa,ucbvax}!leadsv!laic!scott
Lockheed AI Center	    ARPA:  farmie at portia.stanford.edu
"The faster I go, the behinder I get."