Is SVR2 /bin/sh backwards compatible to v7?

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Mon Feb 6 08:01:34 AEST 1989

In article <1044 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In the Sys V Rel 3 shell, test(1) uses stat(2) rather than access(2) to
>determine accessibility of the mentioned file (not just for directories).

Yup. Which is why directories in which you have permission to create new files
return "writable" under SVR3 test(1) (seems obvious, doesn't it?), but direc-
tories always return non-writable under BSD test(1). Proper suid behavior is
nice, too, although I'd argue that suid shells are just too dangerous for most
applications, especially when you have to be portable.

<csg>