System V /etc/wtmp strangeness

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Fri Feb 10 16:13:29 AEST 1989

I've noticed that my S5R2 system stores the device name in two
different styles in the ut_line field of the utmp structure.

If the entry is for a user, the basename part of the tty name
is stored, for example, tty32.  However, for non-user processes,
such as gettys and logins, the absolute pathname is stored,
for example, /dev/tty32.

Is this normal?  Mail your responses, if there is enough
interest, I'll summarize.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "I've re-written Unix from scratch."