UUCP protocols

Phil Kemp phil at bcscal.UUCP
Thu Feb 16 13:15:51 AEST 1989

I have seen reference to various 'protocols' for uucp connections. Can
anyone tell me what the different protocol designations are and what the
associated attributes are... I am running an early release of HDB and
want to connect to a Sun through a Multiplexor link to a DECserver and
then connect through telnet from a VMS interactive session. How does
one enforce the use of one or another protocol from both the initiation
point or the connection point?

This is sort of a follow-up to a previous article I posted regarding
kermit and file transfers between my UNIX-PC and the remote SUN. I
solved the file transfer problems by resetting some of the interactive
session parameters on VMS. I now can get kermit, and zmodem working.
UUCP will start using the standard 'g' protocol but fails due to
flow control being used somewhere in the link... I have heard of the 'e'
(error free) protocol. There was a posting referring to the 't' protocol
for TCP/IP transfers recently. It would be nice to get an overview of
the different protocols and how they can be implemented on the various
versions of uucp.

Thanks for any help...
Either E-Mail or Re-post. Any helpful E-Mail I will summarize in a