Time slicing -- How does 4.3bsd do it?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Thu Jan 19 01:03:45 AEST 1989

In article <15504 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>Thus, if by `quantum' you mean the typical scheduler quantum, the value
>is essentially random, depending on when the process was scheduled with
>respect to the constant 100 ms ticks.

In the UNIX idiom the answer would be 100ms.  Every 100ms you get a
chance to lose the CPU, but not more often [ baring a process being
awoken on a higher priority ].  Older kernels used a 1 second quantum.
I suspect this is what prompted the question.

>                                       In the absence of clock-related
>voluntary context switching, the unfairness should average out to the
>point where it can be ignored, but that absence is not guaranteed.

All scheduling is unfair.  Doesn't the joke go "If this is timesharing
I want my share now."?
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |"UNIX doesn't have bugs,