GNU-tar vs dump(1)

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.uucp
Tue Jan 10 03:37:26 AEST 1989

In article <4601 at xenna.Encore.COM> bzs at Encore.COM (Barry Shein) writes:

>Another limitation of using tar (which, again, I don't know if gnutar
>attacked) is restoring device entries.

POSIX tar format has provisions for this.  It also has provisions for longer
file names (not MAXPATHLEN, but longer than 100 bytes).

Does GNU tar have a mechanism for creating an artificial hierarchy on the
tape?  In our tar, we added a switch like -C that specifies a prefix for
each following file name.  This is very convenient (not for backup; for
file transfer).

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.