File Sys Hierarchies

Greg Limes limes at sun.com
Thu Jul 20 08:08:07 AEST 1989

In article <5748 at rpi.edu> night at pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) writes:
   In article <20140 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
   >Another annoying thing is that the superuser's home directory is `/'.
   >This make it difficult to have a private bin directory and use the
   >same .cshrc and .login scripts as my user account.

   Is there any good reason to leave root's home directory as "/"?  Or
   is this just another convention that's been around so long that no one's
   bothered to change it?

I regularly establish special purpose accounts with UID==0 (i.e.
superuser accounts) that have home directories other than "/". Quite
useful, actually, and does not seem to cause problems.

--
Greg Limes	limes at sun.com	...!sun!limes	73327,2473	[chose one]