QDSS mouse troubles on VAX-3500

paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 19 06:49:00 AEST 1989

VR-260, 4.3 BSD-Tahoe with 3000 patches, and X11R3 (up to fix10).

Details: On the platform above, the mouse will not move the X cursor.
Instead I get the diagnostic

qd[0]: timeout on 1st byte of self-test input

during boot and whenever xterm is started.  I have verified the monitor,
keyboard, mouse, and the 10 ft cable by connecting them to a VAXstation-2000.
A ohmmeter test of the board to bulkhead cable shows no breaks.  DEC has
replaced the base module (M7169) once to no good affect.

Question: The technical manual is none to clear on how the self test
is supposed to operate.  Does anyone have an independent method of
verifying mouse operation through the DUART?  Right now DEC is saying
"software" and I tend to agree.  However the code in /sys/vaxuba/qd.c
seems to agree with the manual as to how the self-test should proceed.
Has anyone with a similar configuration encountered this problem before?

         Paul Pomes

UUCP:     {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul     ICBM: 40 06 47 N / 88 13 35 W
Internet, BITNET: paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu      Phone: 217 333 6262
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987