UUCP to Xenix site (long)

Bruce A. Yanagida yanagida at ole.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 10:32:56 AEST 1989

I am having problems  getting a UUCP connection  to a neighboring  Xenix
site up and running  and I was  wondering if anyone  else out there  has
seen this problem before.

First off, here's the equipment we are using:

Us:
	Telebit Trailblazer+ at 9600 PEP
	VAX-11/750 running Mt. Xinu More/BSD4.3
	Berkeley UUCP

Them:
	Telebit Trailblazer+ at 9600 PEP
	386 running SCO Xenix 2.3.2
	Honey Danber UUCP

Basically, the problem  is, they can  call us, but  we can't call  them.
Everything works just fine  when they dial into  our system, but when  I
initiate the connection from our side, we get a failed login  everytime.
Here's what I've tried so far:

I used kermit on my side to  connect directly to the modem and  manually
typed in the modem  commands to dial  the Xenix site  (as if to  mimmick
uucp).  In this case, I get a good connection at 9600 PEP and I am  able
to log in.  Everything works!

When I use uucp, I still get a good connection at 9600 PEP, but I cannot
get any reasonable login sequence to work.  It seems that no matter what
I send as the initial  login, it just gets echoed  right back.  I  never
get to a password prompt.

Let me add that  I have no  problems at all calling  any other site  (we
have a half a dozen other  connections which are a variety of  different
machine types).   However,  this is  the first  Xenix site  I have  ever
tried.  If you have any ideas  on what I should try next, please  e-mail
me at the UUCP address below.  I am stumped.
--
Bruce A. Yanagida		(UUCP:  ...!uw-beaver!sumax!ole!yanagida)
Seattle Silicon Corporation