System V inode problem

Peter McLeod Wilcox pwilcox at paldn.UUCP
Fri Jul 21 09:47:47 AEST 1989

I have run across several ref. to the "infamous System V inode bug",
as someone afflicted with this problem is there a cure?
I am running uPort SysV/386 3.0e, I have a file system dedicated
to news processing and this is where the problem occurs, the superblock
contains an incorrectly low (0) count of the number of free inodes and
must be fixed with fsck.  Currently I seem to have it under control
by running a process which wakes up every minute to make and delete
a file on the problem file system, but it would be nice to have a more
elegant solution, and to know what exactly triggers the error.

Many thanks in advance!
--
Pete Wilcox		...gatech!nanovx!techwood!paldn!pwilcox