at files and permissions

Uri Blumenthal uri at arnor.UUCP
Fri Jul 7 02:17:56 AEST 1989

>From article <8072 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, by dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi):
>
> When you discuss a security problem that is specific to System V,
> please be sure to say so clearly, else you may confuse naive users.

First of all, not everybody familiar with System V, knows exactly which
features of BSD (and what version!) it has or has not. So, for example,
I didn't know that you can do "chown" only being root (and I consider it
rather STUPID - System V solved this security hazard a lot nicer: it just
clears all sticky bits!). Even wizards don't have to be familiar with all
the flawors of UNIX (or tomorrow somebody will come up and say, like
"but on my HP/UX it's different", or "on my A/UX", or whatever boo you
can find today.

Uri.