What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.UUCP
Sun Jul 9 16:06:43 AEST 1989

In article <1050 at etnibsd.UUCP>, vsh at etnibsd.UUCP (Steve Harris) writes:
> In article <1549 at salgado.Solbourne.COM> dworkin at Solbourne.com (Dieter Muller) writes:
> >I'd *really* like a sane tty driver.
>
> Hear hear!!  At a former job we talked a lot about how we would rewrite
> the tty driver.  One idea was to give the user, via ioctl's, access to
> the uart (or whatever serial-line multiplexer you have).  One ioctl to
and so on.....

this is plainly false advertising. it is plausible to give complete control
of a uart to a user. it is NOT plausible to do so under the guise
of a sane tty driver. normally, you would implement a new device
(say /dev/uart).