Problem in modifying 4.3 BSD rlogind

Erik Talvola talvola at cory.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 11 10:42:14 AEST 1989

  Recently, I tried to make a couple small patches to rlogind, mainly
to see how it worked.  However, I ran into some problems.  If I take
the standard 4.3 BSD rlogind.c (5.12 5/23/88), and compile it with

cc -g -DDEBUG -o rlogind rlogind.c

Everything is OK.  I can point /etc/servers to this new copy, and
remote logins work fine.  However, I then tried to add just 3 lines
of code which would print out a couple of variables, and then whenever
I try to use it, I get the message:

lampwick.Berkeley.EDU: Address already in use

I have tried erasing the old rlogind, and then rebooting, but nothing
changes - it keeps giving me the message.  As soon as I take out the
couple lines of code and use that version, it runs fine again.  The
machine is a Sun 3/50 running Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.3.  I am stumped,
as I can't find any man pages which describe this error message.  The
string isn't in inetd, rlogind, rlogin, or anything else I have guessed
at.  Many thanks in advance for any help.