help needed on ethernet packet access on BSD4.3unix

Anoop R. Hegde anoop at guille.ece.orst.edu
Sat Jul 8 03:37:36 AEST 1989

( My apologies if this posting is not very relevant to this newsgroup,
  but i am sure, some of you have worked on a new protocol implementation)

		We have a MicroVax II running BSD4.3 UNIX. I am trying to
	develope a new protocol parallel to IP, to be used in the
	local ethernet environment. ( to be specific, i would like
	to write programs that can receive an ethernet packet carrying
	an experimental 'type' field, so that I can set up communication
	between this machine and any other machine connected to the same
	ethernet) Obviously, this can't be done using sockets, (even raw)
	as, they don't allow access below IP level. I would be very much
	thankful if someone can provide me with some more info. on this
	matter, or atleast a pointer to pursue.
		( we have the kernel source code, and it would be of much
	help if i know where is packet demultiplexing done and which files
	to look into, etc. )

Anoop R. Hegde			   internet: anoop at guille.ece.orst.edu
Dept. of ECE,			      UUCP :  tektronix!orstcs!hegdea
Oregon State University			or :  hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!hegdea