GNU, security, and RMS

Anton Rang rang at cpsin3.cps.msu.edu
Tue Jun 6 06:30:04 AEST 1989

In article <19857 at adm.BRL.MIL> mchinni at pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) writes:

   In article <2322 at thor.acc.stolaf.edu> mike at stolaf.edu writes:

   >(2) There should not be security among the users of a computer system.
   >    The principal use I have seen security put to has been the self-
   >    aggrandizement of system administrators at the expense of the
   >    user community.  (I agree that in some situations it is reasonable
   >    to have security to keep out outsiders, though.)

   I disagree.  Maybe in a education environment no security may be okay, but I
   can't see this in a commercial/governmental environment.

In an educational environment?  No way.  Maybe in small graduate-level
work groups.  When you can give everybody their own workstation, fine.
But I like being able to keep files on the system without everybody
being able to read them.  It's much easier than keeping them on a PC
and uploading/downloading them all the time.
  Besides, it would really mess up the profs that assume cheating is
tough... :-)

				Anton

P.S.  What's really needed is a secure system with a way to minimize
      security.  They already exist; look at many commercial OS's.