/etc/rmt on suns -- does it work? Having trouble, TFM doesn't help

David C. Cornutt dcornutt at uahcs1.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 13:18:04 AEST 1989

In article <3274 at ttrdc.UUCP>, levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> I have made the apparent mistake of believing the SUN manpage rmt(8C) for
> /etc/rmt, the remote magtape daemon.  According to the documentation, as I
> read it, I should be able to start /etc/rmt and feed it commands and data, and
> expect acknowledgments and data back from it.  Well, that doesn't seem to work
> very well (read: at ALL).  I tried it locally (that shouldn't matter, should
> it?)  and here's what happens with a tape, write protect turned off (i.e.
> writeable), in drive /dev/rst0, on a SUN4 under SunOS 4.0:
>
> O /dev/rst0 438 [me -- note that 438 decimal is 0666 octal]
> Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy

I went through this same exercise about a year ago.  If I remember right
(which I frequently don't), you have to put each of the arguments to
every command on a line by itself; i.e., separate the command args
with newlines instead of spaces.

Sorry about not having a signature or return path.  I just got back on
the net after a long absence, and I haven't learned the local topology yet.

David Cornutt
uahcs1