C bug causes double fault (actually double panic)

David Messer dave at viper.Lynx.MN.Org
Wed Mar 22 17:03:31 AEST 1989

In article <9884 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
 >In article <244 at tree.UUCP> zarquon at tree.UUCP (Erin Filbert) writes:

   { Mention that this causes the system to crash deleted by Doug Gwyn }

 >>main()
 >>{
 >>	float x;
 >>	printf("x = %d", x);
 >>}
 >
 >You'll undoubtedly get a flood of responses correctly pointing out
 >that conversion of a double (promoted float) argument according to
 >an int format is incorrect.  Use %g or some such format specifier.

And you will probably get a flood of responses correctly pointing out
that what you say is irrelevent.  The original message mentioned that
he "crashed the entire system" by running this program (calling it
a "double fault" rather than "double panic"; which may have misled you).
It doesn't matter that the C program has a bug, it still shouldn't
crash the operating system.

 >The reason I'm posting this is so I can include a plea not to post
 >questions like this to comp.unix.wizards.

A true wizard carefully reads the question so that he might answer the
question actually asked, rather than just say the first thing that comes
to mind.

 >  Thanks.

You are welcome.
--
This space                           | David Messer       dave at Lynx.MN.Org -or-
for rent.                            | Lynx Data Systems  ...!bungia!viper!dave