modems dmf-32s

David E. Miran dem at uwslh.UUCP
Thu Mar 30 07:12:31 AEST 1989

In <400 at lclark.UUCP> dan at lclark writes

> What I'm trying to do is to connect some 1200/2400 baud modems to our
> VAX 750 (4.3bsd unix) to use as dial-in ports.  (The modems are
> 'Hayes compatible' Practical Peripherals...)
followed by a description of the problems involved in trying to handle
multispeed modems, especially with PC terminal emulators that cannot
send a break.

There is a very satisfactory solution to this possible (if you are willing
to buy better modems).
Get some Multitech MT224EH modems (or better yet MT696EH).
These are multispeed modems which run at 2400 baud (9600 for the MT696EH).
These modems have the very useful feature that their phone line speed
does NOT have to match the speed to the computer.  They can answer the phone
at speeds of 300, 1200, 2400, 4800 ( with MNP 5 compression) (also 9600
and 19,200 for the MT696EH) while always talking to the computer at a fixed
speed (like 9600).  The modem then uses xon/xoff to do flow control.
We have some of the MT224EH modems and really like them.  We are planning to
get some MT696EH modems in the near furture.  We can buy them for $323 for
the MT224EH and $395 for the MT696EH.  Of course, this is a state contract
price but you should be able to get close to these prices.
These modems are the ideal solution to the speed recognition problem for us.
Hope this helps.

--
David E. Miran         ...!{rutgers,ucbvax,harvard}!uwvax!uwslh!dem
Wisconsin State Hygiene Lab    or    dem%uwslh.uucp at cs.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin          (608) 262-0019
465 Henry Mall
Madison, WI  53706