Ultrix/32 & VMS

senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet.ca%UNCAEDU.BITNET at CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet.ca%UNCAEDU.BITNET at CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL
Thu Mar 2 05:13:37 AEST 1989

Our institution is considering the purchase of some VAXStation 3100's so that
we can run both Ultrix/32 and VMS.  We've been told, by Dec, that there will
be no problem with the 3100's running either of the OS's (they can choose the
operating system while booting up).  This is fine, we can live with this.  But,
I've got some questions about the compatability twixt the two.

I've noticed that when I write a C program under VMS, there are a couple of
'little' problems.  The main one is that files under VMS are stored in a
different format (machine level stuff excused); they are stored in a record
type of format whereas Ultrix stores files in a stream format.  So, when ever
I write any programs which use, for example, fseek() to move to the end of file
and then to back up through the file, i first have to run the file through a
filter (basically a copy program).

So, has anyone linked Ultrix/32 and VMS and had any problems that we, as
possible buyers, should be aware of?  Any suggestions, hints, etc. that might
be relevant?  Enquiring minds wanna know...

Leonard Senetza   <senetza%vp.uleth.adhocnet at UNCAEDU.BITnet>

"I'm not aware of too many things,
 I know what I know, if you know what I mean."