tcsh - some more questions

Joel Spolsky spolsky-joel at CS.YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 15 10:09:24 AEST 1989

In article <18686 at srcsip.UUCP> rogers at falcon.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
| 1) Where should I 'exec tcsh' or 'exec -tcsh'?
|    In my .cshrc file?   with 'if (! $?tcsh) exec -tcsh' for example?
|    In my .login file?

What you should do is change your default login shell to tcsh using
the program "chsh", which has to be modified to allow changing your
shell to something other than /bin/csh. If you don't have the source
to chsh there is probably a file somewhere that lists "legal" shells -
see your system documentation.

It is a waste to load csh and then scrap it every time you log on.

| 2) should  'set history=100 ; set savehist=100'  be done before
|    entry into tcsh or after?   I can't get history to work anymore.
|    (when I invoked tcsh manually the history seemed to work fine.)

This should be in your .cshrc file.