What processes are on the ends of a TCP connection?

John M Chambers jc at heart-of-goldmitre.org
Thu Mar 2 06:47:38 AEST 1989

OK all you BSD networking wizards, here's a simple one (;-):

When I run "netstat -a", I can see a lot of TCP connections, as well as
a bunch of ports (both TCP and UDP) being listened on.  How do I identify
the processes that are involved?

I've recently had the fun of watching a bunch of people treat me like an
idiot for asking such a silly question, and proceed to show me all sorts
of interesting network info that I can get displayed.  When I point out
that they haven't yet shown anything that tells me the process ids, they
tend to get huffy and indignant, but they don't answer the question.  I've
had this fun (?) at several sites over a number of years, and still haven't
come up with an answer.  It seems like a silly little question that should
have a trivial answer.  So can someone out there explain to me just how
trivial it is?

Note that I'm not asking for the IP addresses or the port numbers or any
of that good stuff.  I know all that.  What I want is process numbers; I
won't be impressed by something that gives me volumes of other info but
doesn't finger the processes involved.

--
From:	John Chambers <heart-of-gold.mitre.org!jc>
>From	...!linus!!heart-of-gold!jc (John Chambers 617/217-2285)
[The above opinions were packaged by volume, not by weight;
some settling of contents may have occurred during distribution.]