Giving up one's time slice

paul paul at deadpup.UUCP
Sat Mar 18 05:01:35 AEST 1989

In Sys V r2 or r3 is there a way (without kernal modifications) to
surrender ones time slice without invoking sleep or such a pause/alarm
type operation. I need to poll for an event with a user process, and
the one sec. granularity of sleep/alarm is too coarse, but I don't
need to hammer the poll for an entire time slice if I don't initially
see it. If it's not possible/practical, I know that there are a number
of other potential solutions, but if there is a solution of this nature,
it'll make the problem a bit nicer. Mail responses, and I'll summarize
if appropriate.

Paul J. Mech
oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU!deadpup!paul
uiucuxc!oucs!oucsace!deadpup!paul